The fields, delimited by
- Password (hashed)
- Last password change (in days since 1970-01-01)
Notes on specific fields.
Fairly straightforward. The lenght used to be restricted to 8 characters maximum in very old distributions, now it's 32 characters on most distributions.
An empty field, will allow the user to login without providing a
password, whereas a field that starts with, or only contains an asterisk
* indicates a disabled account.
The first characters of this field define the hashing algorithm, one of:
- MD5 - password starts with
- Blowfish - password starts with
- SHA-256 - password starts with
- SHA-512 - password starts with